Thursday, January 29, 2009

bye bye fly....


It seems "yucky" having a blog about flies... who likes them??? They're dirty, they bite, they're annoying and all sorts of other "icky" things. but, the truth is, when you live on a farm.. they are a fact of life. We did fairly well dealing with them last fall, course the horses had only been there a very short time, and the manure pile wasn't much to speak about. However, I know that next summer if will be a different story.
So, I have been doing some research and talking with some folks and have come across these little bugs that are known as "fly Predators", basically they are another little fly-type "bug" that lives off the fly. Actually, just about everyone who has flies already have the predators as it's God's way of handling the fly population. However, sometimes the flies, in good conditions...like a nice big manure pile, can get a jump on the predators and then become pests to the rest of us. I have found that you can order the predators and keep their population higher than the flies and thus, we do not have to deal with flies!!!

And this morning, (trying to be in a "spring" frame of mind) I called the company and ordered my "new friends". They will come in monthly shipments with the first arriving in May.. they are suppose to be very easy to deal with, basically, give them a few days to come out of their dormant state that they are shipped in, and take them to the manure pile and sprinkle them on. Sounds easy enough, and for the amount that I need, it runs about 30.00 a month.. so, I'm willing to give them a chance.

People who I have talked with that have used them, seem very happy with their results. Aside for the fact that I don't like flies, I have to think about out drafts with no tails!!! so for the sake of my horses, I want to do the best I can for their comfort. I'll keep you posted on the results of this experiment, but are there any blogger friends out there that have tried them.... I would love to hear from you...

And... with two feet of snow on the ground... even a yucky fly would look good just about now!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue I have never dealt with the little fly preditor but, I have used draggon fly nimps to control misquitos and they work great...Rick.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

We have used them the last couple of years. I do believe they worked in the manure pile I put them on last year. They did not work sprinkled in the barn, like they say you can do...becuase if you clean your barn at all, you take their pupa out with the manure.

But I think we came up with a good mix last year. Predators in the manure pile and traps outside the barn. That seemed to keep things pretty comfortable for the horses.

Anonymous said...

i used them when i had poke at my parents house- i didnt like the idea of him causing too many flies in thier yard! I thought they did great, but it was only one horse... i think its a great idea!