Thursday, November 09, 2006

The BIG boys

Here they are, my BIG guys!! The picture of Silver was actually taken the day that I bought him. It was in May 1997 !! I remember the first time I saw him, look at that face, how could he not be mine!! Though I did have to apologize to him later, because my first comment was "He's White??" (I was thinking my first horse would be black!!!) I didn't really find him. I had been riding with Laura for a couple of years, and one day told her "I am ready to own my first horse". I gave her a price range, and told her when she had found "him" . let me know. Laura knew my riding skills and what a first horse should be like. Silver was 18-19 years old when I got him and Laura told me I would "out ride" him, but that he could teach me a lot about owning a horse-----was she ever right about that.

I rode Silver for about 8 years, as my riding level improved, so did his "creeky-ness" and I found that I was needing (wanting) a younger horse with a little more spunk. It was time to retire my old boy. Laura suggested that I find a "kid" who would like their first horse, but I couldn't part with my old friend. So, I found a little barn to keep him, and his official title now is "pasture pet", keeping Tonka in line, and the occasional ride by small people. At 27ish, he is in good shape, and I love him dearly.

In July 04, I bought Tonka. I had been looking for a second horse for about a year. Taking the advise of Laura and a number of other horse friends, I took my time and thought carefully when looking at a horse. I wanted "something" a little bigger than Silver, possibly a horse that I could drive as well as ride. I found Tonka at Carousal Horse Farm, where they import drafts and drafts crosses from Canada... Tonka was born in Newfoundland. Ed and I went to an open house, and the load of horses that Tonka was in had just arrived. I didn't ride Tonka that first time, as they had only been off the truck for about 24 hours, but I did make an appointment to go back and see him, and brought a horse friend and a video camera. He gave me a nice ride and my friend filmed, so that I could show it to Laura and a few others.

Most everyone thought he looked good, so he came home for a 10 day trail, where I could have him seen by my vet, my farrier and Laura. He passed all their tests.. and the rest is history!!!!

All my little girl dreams of horse owning had come true and even more so, for I never thought there would be two!! I have a feeling that when we are settled on the farm, two will become more, but that will remain to be seen!!

No comments: