Wednesday, March 28, 2007

part two


Dare I even brag about Tonka yesterday, for usually, when I do, the next time proves not to be so good.... However, he is deserving of praise, because yesterday with him, was wonderful.

He was good loading for me, on a scale of 1-10... I will give him a 7. He actually went on pretty well, but didn't want to stay when I reached to close the door. (And when you have 1400lbs. coming at you.... you tend to move out of the way. )After about the fourth time on, he decided to stay put and munch some hay, and I got the back door shut.

Here he is peeking out the side door, good thing he is far too big to use it!!! And the mud you see on his face... well, let's just say I was happy Laura was running late and I had 40 minutes to groom!!!! What a mess!!!!

As I had thought, Laura was on him first, but she rode just a little and had me right on him. Though his muscle tone is poor right now (from a winter off), he was very supple and giving to the bit. He remembers his lessons from last year, and was willing to get right to work.

It was grand being on him again!!! And I think that even I, did ok, after time off!! I found myself catching my own mistakes much quicker, I think Tonka and I are finally beginning to work as a team. I like him more and more every time I ride, we are beginning to understand each other.

I have a goal this year to try a show or two. I wanted to do this last year, but my surgery last spring (and six week recovery) really put a huge dent in our training. So maybe this year, will be the year!!!

Spring is here, horse season is here.... I am a happy girl!!!!

1 comment:

Flymaine said...

Great pictures!! What a cute boy!! I am so jealous...I miss riding. Is Sadie riding with you at all?