Thursday, May 03, 2007

driving 101

Today's workout was in "ground driving", with our harness "due any day now" I have been trying to divide the workouts between dressage and driving. Not that I am exactly sure what I am doing with the driving thing... but, between some good reading material and common sense, I think we are doing OK.

Now, I am certainly not "good enough" to be trying to handle a camera and a horse... but I so wanted to get a couple of pics for the blog... and since Tonka is very patient and a gentle soul, I figured as long as I stayed on my feet, and didn't drop a rein, I could probably get away with a shot or two. So, this is what it looks like from the back side of him.... there is a bumper sticker out there that says..."ride a draft and make your butt look small"... well, guess this picture says it all. Actually, this is pretty good, because even though I am taking pictures, he is moving in a straight line and paying attention to me!!! Turning is the hardest, because if I pull him up too quickly, he just spins around and looks at me......like......





"What in world are you trying to tell me!!" or in this case, "Are we working, or are you just going to play around with that camera thing?"



The equipment I am using to "drive with" right now are long lines and a surcingle... I just use his riding bridle for the moment, but our harness with come with all that... less the bit, because his bit is a special order thing.... he takes a 6 1/2... which I can tell you, was one hard bit to find!!!! You can easily get a 6 or a 7, but neither fit properly. I should have ordered more of them, because I just have the two, but I have been told that a couple of different companies are expanding their bit sizes, so I just keep hoping that one day here, I will be able to get one without too much trouble.

The long lines and surcingle are working well, but I can't do any sort of "pulling" with them, so I am anxious for the harness.... I know pretty much how to start all that, and an old tire will more than likely be one of his first "pulls". I know the folks up at Meader's will be a wonderful resource of information when it comes to all that. I really don't believe Tonka is going to have any issues with that, he really seems to understand all this, so I do believe that somewhere in his past, he has done this before....

But, we have the whole summer ahead, and I will certainly keep everyone updated on the training.

1 comment:

Flymaine said...

How fun! The harness will make all the difference and he won't be as apt to spin and look at you. I can't wait to see youpulling trees out of your new woods with him. He is such a cutie...little stubby tail and all!