Tuesday, February 26, 2008

one of those days....

Today hasn't exactly gone to plan... it started very early this morning around 5:30, when "my" Ed said to me... "are you awake?" Well, it so happens I was, because I am up at 6:00 anyways for a dog that comes for daycare on Tuesday and Wednesdays... "yup, I'm awake, what's up?" "I need to go to the hospital"... needless to say, I am now fully awake..... "what's going on".... "I got a kidney stone and I am in real pain".... we made to the hospital in about 4 minutes flat (won't be able to do that when we live in Acton.. but that's another story)

It didn't take them too long to confirm what Ed already knew (he has had them before), but this time, it's a big stone!!! and as of this evening, he is in the hospital and this stone is going to have to be taken out one way or another. At this writing, I don't have an end to this story yet..... that will happen next week. But he is there tonite to manage his pain and prepare him for some procedure next week.....

The sad part to all of this, is that next week, Ed was suppose to be away!!!! He had been invited by three good friends, to load up the motorcycles and head to Daytona for "bike week".... when he asked me what I thought about him going.. I said... GO... he has worked all winter on the barn, in the cold, and I thought this would be a fun break for him.... so much for the fun break.....BUT, the good thing is, this did happen this week here at home... I don't imagine that this sort of pain would be much fun at "bike week" and ending up in a hospital so far from home wouldn't have been good either... so I guess if this is suppose to happen, we are blessed that it happened now........

On a happier note, today was also a day that I had been invited to do a talk and a pet visit at a retirement resident called "Inn at Spruce Creek" in Durham, NH.

I used to do a far amount of therapy dog work, but as the kids got older and busier, it sort of got squished out of my life. However, now that a little more time is on my side, I do try and get the dogs out where and when I can (like badge day that we did for the girl scouts)

Anyways, this visit has been planned for a month or more, so I got nervous when I was sitting in the ER with Ed. I thought that I should cancel it, but as Ed said, there wasn't much I could do there and the folks would be expecting us to come.... so I left him in good hands, packed up Moxie and Camille and off we went.



I am glad we did go, the folks there were waiting for us and they were a very nice crowd to talk to. I spoke about dog training in general, about cocker spaniels and about therapy dog work. Everyone was very interested in all three topics. There were lots of questions asked and then some talk time to hear about the different dogs that they have owned. One thing about cockers, I think everyone in the "whole world" has owned one at one time or another... so many of them had grand stories to share about cockers in their past.

Moxie was an old pro at this, she calmly chose a few people and would sit or stand quietly while they fussed over her.

Camille was another story, she just couldn't see everyone fast enough, it was like she only had so much time and rushed about the room, making sure that she got to visit with everyone. Fortunately she is small, so her high energy didn't seem to bother anyone, but I have high doubts that a bigger dog could have gotten away with that. She did, however, make about three rounds about the room and everyone thought she was delightful. After that she finally "crashed" and just laid in front of everyone and listened to the conversation.

So, what started out as a "doubtful" day, certainly turned bright to see all the smiles and laughter that my dogs brought out.... just need to remember that as the days ahead look like they could be abit stressful.....

and with that, Moxie and I are off to sit with Ed at the hospital tonite... guess her therapy dog work isn't over yet......



Camille will stay at home :0)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hugs!

Nate & Kas said...

oh mom! I've already said this on the phone, but I am so sad for Daddy!!! :( I love you both!!!
-peek

p.s wrote a new blog for you! :)

Anonymous said...

oh Sue so sorry about Ed! I too suffer..... and that is the correct word from kidney stones!! He is such a good guy and works so hard !! NO FAIR!!! insert stomping feet... Thank god for good drugs!! Take care. Cindi rousseau

J.D. Scorpio said...

Hello Sue:
You have been tagged to take part in a 'meme'. Please drop by my blog for the details. A fine looking puppy you have there.
Have a great day.......JD

Anonymous said...

I*'m so sorry about Ed. We have in in our Sunday School prayers....

Silly dogs. I think that they cheered a lot of people up, by just having a couple of pups there.

I go to a home for the elderly here in Ny, on Palm Sunday, with a group of friends, and we sing christian songs. our club is called The Olympian Club. (Word Of Life.)

Then we go to McDonalds and have a little "Snack"...Then it's time to go home.

~Traci~ said...

Hope all is well. Let us know what happens with Ed. We'll be thinking about him! ~Traci, David, and Dillon~

Unknown said...

Wow... So sorry for Ed's pain. You are right though, if it was going to happen it is better that it happened now instead of while he was away on his trip.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Deb said...

Oh Sue! What a day! My wishes for a speedy recovery go to Ed...kidney stones sure are no fun! Let us know if there is anything that we can do to help. But, it sounds like a great time with Moxie and Cammie, I'm sure that the folks thoroughly enjoyed every moment of your visit! Deb