Tuesday, August 12, 2008

ok, Lord.... whatever.....

This morning I am up bright and early, it's a day of dog training, but I wanted to get at least one box packed before heading out on the road. It's suddenly getting "very real" this moving thing, and some days, I think "piece of cake" and others, I wonder "how in the world" we are going to move all this stuff.... today was a "how in the world" day.

As I head out to the truck, I see the mail has arrived, so I head to the box and see what the postman has left. Lots of junk mail (good) and then a very important letter... from the "Clerk of courts"... this can't be good. I open it up.... and it reads.... "You are required to appear at the court on September 8th for Jury Duty..... your appointed months will be September and October"... and it goes on and on from there. JURY DUTY!!!!! How can I do this??? I am moving, building a new house, I have dog classes that begin that week... students already signed up with deposits paid!!!!! THEY have to be kidding!!! I call Ed, he laughs.....

So, now that I have had some time to think about this, I can write to the courts and present "my case" and see if they will "let me off"... course I don't know if "self employed" and "moving" are considered good excuses, but I am going to try.... If not... I will have to trust that the Good Lord wants me in court for some reason, and HE will just have to handle the rest of my life!!!! and that everything will fall into place as needs to be.....

will keep you posted on this one.......

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh what a bother! but, on the other hand...if i should ever (ever!) land myself in a situation like that, i certainly hope there would be somebody exactly like you- fair, honest, calm and compassionate to hear my case!

Flying Lily said...

I am certain you will be excuse/postponed due to the upcoming move. Just tell them you could not commit to being there for a complete trial period (2 weeks avg) and don't have the concentration at the moment, but will be glad to be on the roster for 6 months hence.

I've been summoned during the academic year, when N0 WAY could I get there - and it bugs me because I'd actually like to be on a jury.

Flymaine said...

Doesn't God have a great sense of humor! You have Your life all planned...and HIS plan might be a slightly different. I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey,while you're on the jury, can you fix my speeding ticket?

Jules said...

it is amazing how God works isn't it? I remember getting "called" to serve...my boss said she could get me out of it, but I opted to do it. (Kind of like...let's do my duty and get it out of the way.) Hopefully I won't have to do it again for a while. Maybe it will work out for you to postpone it until later. Your reasons sound lagit to me. :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey, before you comment on my not updating my blog...you need to update yours! (LOL)

Thanks again for a GREAT trip to Maine.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a mystery to me, sue. I wish I could help. You're in my prayers!!!

blogdog said...

I think it depends on the court. I got called some years ago to serve in York County court, but it was in the middle of some crazy work deadline. I said I would be happy to serve the next time they asked me, and they were happy with that. If you give them a specific time when you would be happy to serve, they can usually accommodate you. They just have a problem with "never." :-)

On the other hand, if you get tapped for federal duty, you might not be able to get away to attend your own funeral. I served in a federal jury pool in Portland for a year. You have to show up every time they call you, but only once during that year did I actually have to sit on a case.