Wednesday, October 22, 2008

one of those kind...

Lucky me, Monday turned out to be "one of those days".. you know them, we all have them.. when everything you touch goes a muck, or requires "a million more steps" than normal. And try as I might, the more I did, the "worse" it got. I ran out of time on everything and it seemed at the end of the day... nothing was accomplished. Which really isn't true... I got the laundry done, did barn chores, met with a private student and taught two dog classes, but I was done by the end of the day.


THEN to top it all off... we have had a sadness to deal with... we have "lost" one of our little guinea hens.. one of the little white ones to be exact. And I feel pretty bad about this.. for someone "who really didn't care about birds".. I have grown pretty fond of these guys and loosing one makes me very sad. It was a beautiful day, so I let the birdies out early. At noontime I needed to travel to York to meet with my client and then to teach, I hated the idea of locking them in so "early" in the day, even though I knew we wouldn't be home until well after dark. But, they have been excellent about coming in on their own as the sun begins to set, so I was pretty sure they would head for the barn when it got dark. Well, when we went to button things up after we got home, there were the guinea hens in the barn... but only 6 of them... one was missing. I took a flash light out to the trees, just to see if "she" had roosted somewhere ..but no sign. The next morning, I looked around again... nothing. Yesterday afternoon, as Ed and I were increasing the size of the pasture (again) we found the tell tale signs.... a spot in the middle of the field covered in white feathers, and then another small spot with more white feathers.... "someone" got her for sure. My "gut" feeling is a hawk, we have some pretty big ones here and if it were big enough, it could have picked her up.... and the fact that the "crime" scenes were way out in the field, I wonder if he caught her and then had to land and re=group before taking off again. Either way, "she" is gone and I will be keeping a very careful eye on the rest of the group, and won't leave them out again if I have to be gone for a long time. I knew it was a "risk" allowing them to free range, but, I can't keep them locked up in the stall forever. it's not fair to them.

So,by the time Monday was over, I was pretty happy to say goodbye to that day...... and so far, the rest of the days this week have gone pretty well...

guess it was just "one of those days".....

1 comment:

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Awww...poor little birdie! Don't worry pretty soon they will be big enough that the hawks can't get them!!