Saturday, February 14, 2009

dog cookies.....

I apologize to my loyal readers for not posting so much these past few days... there just doesn't seem to be much to talk about, and I am still having a hard time with the passing of Moxie. I do look for those stories, but life seems pretty "normal" just now....


However, we did run down to Kassy's last night. She has a little cookie business on the side, and she called with a "I need help"...

A friend of mine had ordered two cookie baskets, but she wanted all the cookies to look like English Cockers. Kass didn't have the cookie cutter, but my friend did, she dropped the cutter off along with a list of what she would like the cookies to look like. Poor Kas, she understood what "black and white" would look like, but the other two terms... "orange and white" and "blue roan".. sort of threw her. I said that I would come and see what we could figure out. We decided that pizza would be an easy meal, so Kas also asked Deb and Dave to pop in as well.

After pizza, we set about decorating the cookies. Kas had them all made up, and the frosting was done too, so it was a matter of mixing up the colors and finishing the cookies. We had great fun...

Deb concentrated on the black and whites, Kas did the orange and whites, and I tackled the blue roan...

In the end, they all came out pretty well...







Kas finished them off with wrappings and arranging them in pretty little baskets...


Seems almost too bad that all the work is just going to be eaten!!!!






The house is progressing along... "we're" in that stage where lots is happening, but you don't seem to notice much on a daily basis.
Ken and crew go back and forth between working inside and then on the garage. Inside, they are working on the "false floor" upstairs... because a timber frame doesn't have the type of walls that you can run electrical and plumbing thru, it has to go between the floors. So, they have made a false floor that allows spacing for that sort of thing... (I will get pictures on that to show you....)
In the garage, the second floor decking is done, and the gable ends are in works.... I think those will be up next week... that will certainly change the look.




Things are well in the barn... Annabelle is friendlier everyday and now looks for us to arrive and follows us all around. She is getting more comfortable with being picked up and is turning out to be such a love......








The "hennies" certainly appreciate the bare patches of ground made by the warm temps this past week. They had a grand time getting a "dirt bath" in front of the barn doors... and sadly, we are down to three.... The two that stayed out side last time are both gone... one to the hawk and the other (I think ) got frost bite on one of her feet. We watched her over the past few days, and one of her feet did not look so good. She had been staying inside and yesterday morning when Ed went to feed, he found her "gone" in the corner of the stall... Seems my luck with guinea hens isn't so great, so I don't know if I will add to the flock come spring or leave it at these three, and just let it "go".... but, don't have to make that decision today.....



2 comments:

Jan Mader said...

I was blog walking today, and your site caught my eye. I'm a children's author and new (one month) to blogging. I'm also an animal LOVER and horse owner...trainer if you consider that I've had my horse since he was a year old!

My blog is especially for parents, teachers, and writers. Please come visit!

Alex said...

The chimney does look so "homey" coming up out of the roof! I have so enjoyed watching the progress via the blog! Im sorry to hear about the hens, I wonder if a rooster would take to the guinea and protect them like he would chicken hens? maybe if you got a young one and raised it with them? Just a thought, but then again, i dont think it would be much use against a hawk.