Wednesday, February 18, 2009

last of the "walls"....

This week it's been all about Ed's garage... as you may know, it's a four car garage, with ceilings high enough to bring trucks inside. Ed has a couple of antique trucks (from the 1918's &1920's) and he wants to be able to "putter" on them, and who knows what else might come along. Needless to say, he's been pretty excited watching "his space" come to be.

Yesterday was an "on the road" day for me, so I missed much of the going's on... but I was able to get a few shots before I left, and when I returned....





Ken and crew had the gable walls all made, and just needed to stand them in place. With five guys ... "the crew" and Ed, they felt they could do this fairly easily. Do I need to even say how heavy those walls are????



Ed's wood working shop will be on the second floor of the garage. This picture was taken from the "shop" looking back into the house. The space you see is over the mudroom, and due to the design, it actually turned out to be another room in the house. If we wanted to, we could have put a couple of skylights in the roof and made an "office type" room, but since we have plenty of space... we have decided to use this space as two walk in closets for the bedrooms. Ed also decided to put a door here and that way he can enter his wood shop from the second floor of the house.



The front wall was just going into place when I got back this afternoon. I was so happy to see the "pine bow"!!! We have always followed this tradition when building a new building, and I would have felt sad if they had forgotten.... but Ed remembered!!! I guess the front wall gave them some trouble going into place... the back wall went up fine, but they struggled with the front.... I am told that the guys said "it's Sue's pine branch that made this wall so heavy!!" (really?? couldn't be the fact that they had worked all morning with the other wall, or the fact that they all had lunch and a nice little break...noooo.... it was "my pine branch" that caused the problem!!!!)



I hope Ed didn't think he could catch this thing if it had decided to go over the edge!!!!






Here it is... the last outside wall that needed to go into place!!!!


In other news, I finished the sampler that I have been working on (and off) over the past year. It's one of four in the series, and yes I do intend to do all four.. this one is "Summer"... it will be my "show piece" for the Acton Fair this year, and I know just where it will hang in the new mudroom....
I haven't had as much time for cross stitch (quilting, knitting) as I would like... but, that's ok... I just putter on my projects when I can, and eventually, they do get done....






2 comments:

Alex said...

What excitement- Im sure Ed is thrilled with his new space- it looks like he is going to be able to do just about anything in there! yipee!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's a lot of cross-stitches. I'm the same way. I've got bags full of unfinished cross-stitch, needlepoint, and embroidery projects. One just simply needs to have the back of the pillow sewed on and stuffed, but I've never gotten around to it.