Monday, July 06, 2009

well...

We don't seem to be doing so great in the guinea keet department "Mr. Six" didn't make it thru the night, and this morning Ed noticed another one that wasn't so good. By the time I did stalls and the like, "he" was gone too, and then I noticed that another one is awfully quiet. The lady we got them from really didn't know much about them (and I have to say, her barn was...well.... less than "nice" ie:messy/dirty), the other three seem to be OK, still quite lively, eating, drinking and running around the brooding cage..so, I have my fingers crossed. We didn't pay very much for them, but just to see those beautiful little keets "fade away" is quite distressing. I am determined to build a flock one way or another.. just might take me longer than I hoped.

On a brighter note (other than the weather, which happens to be amazing right now!!!) I worked with Mocha this morning and managed to get a drive with her in cart!!!! Betty had the same "luck" yesterday, and did some driving with her in the afternoon. I did some lunge work with her at first, then a bit of ground driving... since all that went well, I hooked up the cart and we went for a nice drive around the farm. MAYBE we have turned the corner with her and this driving thing... a few weeks ago I had threaten her that she would be leaving the farm if she couldn't do something constructive... other than look cute in the paddock. Perhaps she has taken me seriously!!!!

I was glad to have that "project" to do, because the weekend went by way too fast and I was sad to see Kas and Nate (and grand doggies) pack up and head for home this morning. Camp is the most fun when you have someone to share it with...

Tonite it's down to York to teach some dog classes, and tomorrow is busy again....


** footnote to blog.... the third keet died this afternoon... we're down to three.... ***

2 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Oh, sorry about the baby keets... Sure hope the remaining ones do great for you. Mocha sounds like a blast! Makes me want to get out and line drive Sneaky The Rock Star Pony, and get his cart repaired!!!

Alex said...

sniff. i wonder if the damp weather we have been having wasnt good for babies- but you would think its drying up by now (ok... not this moring...) so sad to see the little guys go.

Ill need to chat with you soon, my MIL got me a harness for Squeeke- it was cheap at a yard sale, and it fake fuzz lining nylon, but i thought just to try it on for size and get used to "tacking" up it would work!