Tuesday, March 30, 2010

the big 5-0

Today is my "real" birthday, though after the wonderful party on Saturday, I felt like that was my birthday. However, today wasn't without it's surprises as well.. my dear hubby gave me two new beads for my Pandora bracelet, and I got all kinds of well wishes via phone/email and blog... and tonite at dog class... there were even balloons, a cake and a song!!! So, it was another fun and happy day... the big 5-0... another chapter in life. Ed and I got back to work on the house, though I have to admit, it's hard to be back in construction mode... I liked having it in house mode. and we had to go and find nearly everything. Now I know "why"... I can appreciate the big push on last week's projects and the huge "clean up" we did at the end of the week... but everything needed to be done, so it wasn't a "waste" by any means.

This nice sunny photo of Annabelle sitting in front of the electric shed was taken last week. We certainly do NOT have that weather right now. The wind is howling tonite and the rain is beating against the glass. Driving home from dog class was an adventure to say the very least,and according to the news, we got another 5 inches of rain just in the past 24 hours... this is the fourth storm of the month and there is water everywhere. Can a lake get too full?? But, by the end of the week, we suppose to have the sun back and almost summer like temps...so we'll see....


This is our front door light, I found it at Lowe's. I like it because it looks "old" and like it even better because it wasn't that expensive.

Ed got it put up last week, and even though we still need to get electricity to it... it's all in place and looks very nice. We made a good choice and I can't wait to see it lit.



The other big push last week, was finishing the closets that are in Sadie's bedroom and Abbie's. Now Abbie's closet will have a "secret door"... Ed has an office that is actually above the mudroom. We didn't even know we had this space until we built.. somehow all this room really didn't show up on paper. But when the real house began, and the space evolved Ed said it would make a great office space. So, we made an excess to it by going thru the closet that is in Abbie's room. This is the view from the office looking into Abbie's.



And this is the official LAST piece of sheet rock in the main house... the ceiling of Abbie's closet. Now, just a bit of mud and tape... some sanding and paint, and we'll be done.... well, we'll need a couple of doors... but basically done.




Ed gave Abbie a grand tour of her new closet and the last piece... I don't think she is quite as excited as we were....





We did have her sit in her new room and check it out. Again, I'm not so sure that she is all that excited about it....








Since Sadie has picked up some part time work, we have Abbie with us quite a bit. We're blessed that she is easy going and fairly portable. We just bring her and her things and she is pretty happy just being in the house with us....







she's pretty good about entertaining herself, so unless she really needs something (food/diaper change) we can just keep an eye on her and still get out things done around the house....







Ah yes,.. house mode... I just LOVE my dining room table... I can already see all the dinner parties we'll be having there. I can't wait to have people over!!!!









But back to construction mode... I have picked out the tile for the down stairs bath.. another Lowe's purchase.... .68 per tile.. we figure we can do the whole floor for about 120.00..... big savings !!!! and I am looking forward to tiling... haven't really done it before, but I think I can figure it out.
I have also come up with a color for the bathroom... a blue.. and think that I have finally settled on a "green" for the living room... we are also looking at our options for kitchen cabinets, and I think Ed might be right... of a sudden it will seem to pull together.
so.. on a birthday.. that's a good omen.... "it will all come together"....still though celebrating my birthday next year in the house... THAT will be a real present...








3 comments:

phaedra96 said...

I left the big 50 behind a few years ago. I think building a house from the ground up is so grand; I have a re-do that seems to be going nowhere! I do enjoy watching it come together.

Rick Barnaby said...

Wonderful blog, Sue... not that they all arent grand.
Great pics of Ed & the Abster.

Midlife Mom said...

Happy Belated Birthday Sue! What a grand surprise they all put together for you!! I would have been overwhelmed too with it all! Your house is coming along so well. I bet you can't wait for the nail nail to be put in and the last coat of paint put on. Your table looks nice there and yes isn't it great to have some of your furniture out of storage. What fun having the boys take everyone for a ride and what a thrill to have that young man and his mom show up. All in all a wonderfully special time with special friends and family.

Yes we so miss our dear little Skippy. I am doing better each day but still can't believe he is gone and so young! Only ten and ponies normally live such a nice long life. Oh well, some things are just meant to be and God does things in His own timing not ours. Thanks for caring!!!!