Friday, February 11, 2011

Maine chapter, puppy night

Last night, members of the Maine Chapter of NEADS met to do some training and get the puppies together. Linda, our leader, is working on building the chapter up again, and we thought that a monthly meeting/training would help to do that. Along with puppies in training, we invited all working NEADS dogs, plus some of my friends who have certified therapy dogs...





This is Deb with Rusty... if you remember dear reader, Chester, Camille and I attended a fund raiser that Deb was doing to get her service dog... and then we went to Deb's graduation when she had received Rusty. It was great to see them again, and all in all things are going well for the two of them.







Suzan and Logan joined us as well. I love having Suzan around, she has so many great tips to share with us, since Logan is her working dog. There are so many things that I don't think about, that Suzan reminds us of. Like, working the puppies from a sitting position... I am usually on my feet, but what if Ginger is placed with someone in a wheel chair???? It would be good for her to see a "human in charge" that is just about at her level.... (can't get over how big Ginger is... almost the size of Logan)




Here is Mindy - Rick's dog - who is a TDI dog working her sit stays with Leo next to her!!!




And Rusty.. Deb's hearing dog....













Ginger doing a down stay.. which by the way, it about the only time that she sits still!!!!! We didn't have as many as we thought for our first night together, but hopefully in the month's to come, there will be more that will join us.. including some new puppies and raisers. We also talked about some training ideas and just having the chance to get together.


I also want to add to my "record" here.. about my Ed... last Monday he took a hard fall on the ice. This has pretty much laid him up all week, and the bruise that he has on his upper leg (and other places) is impressive to say the least. (I thought it might be cool to take a photo, but we decided against that)... he is really sore and hasn't been able to go too far.. though he is hobbling less and less each day... it's been a long week for me, it really take s two of us to run everything around here and I miss his help. Fortunately we haven't had any snow storms that require snow removal, because I'm not so sure what we would have done about that. Needless to say, I have been super careful walking on the ice, and we're just happy that his bruises are the worst of it...

3 comments:

Rick Barnaby said...

Awesome night Sue... very informative cant wait to continue

Alex said...

Sue- you know you can always call if you need another set of hands... or two... or three! Or a plow job... you get the idea! Glad Ed is on the mend and you had a fun training evening.

Midlife Mom said...

That will be great if you can build up the chapter again. The pictures are wonderful, I especially like the boxer as I have always wanted one. The Hubs doesn't particularly like dogs so we don't have one, had one many years ago. I think not growing up with pets makes a difference sometimes and he was not allowed any pets. Sad.

Yes, the little table toppers are cute and I think I will start the winter one today as I am waiting for the cable guy from 7 AM till noon!

Sorry about your hubby. Our drive way and down to the barn are glare ice and it's downright dangerous to try to walk to the mailbox! I'm hoping the 40* temps that they have been telling us we will be getting this week will help out with that!

How do you change your header yourself? I can't change mine, my niece has to do it as she originally designed it. I can't mess with the template html stuff or I mess it all up. I would like to be able to change pictures like you and some of my other blogging buddies do.

Your grand daughter is so cute eating the cookie dough! Aren't they fun?! We had both of ours last weekend and it was a blast. (We were tired though!) HA!