Friday, July 08, 2011

baby buca-bucas....


I can't wait for our friend Rick to read this blog... because he is going to be so EXCITED when he hears about this.... in fact, he will probably be as excited as Ed was (is).....

This afternoon we went over the grain store to get various barn supplies. They always have chicks----- and off and on, I have looked in to see if they have any guineas or silkies. I know it will probably just leave to heartache (until we figure out "what" gets our birds).. but I do love having them around.






At first, I didn't see any keets...but Sadie looked closer and said "Mom, there are keets"... I asked the owner if any of the keets were available (because sometimes they're sold ahead) and he said "sure". Well, the smile that was on Ed's face when he heard that we could have guinea hens again... was huge!!! He has really missed having them around the farm.. he loves the way the call to each other, and warn you when people come up to the barn or on the farm....








"Let's get them, hun... in fact, lets buy all that he has!! I love guinea hens.... and you know, even Rick has commented that the barn is just too quiet without them around..." so.. we bought them.. all nine... plus two more barred rock (laying) hens. Ed couldn't wait to get them home... he was so happy to have them.















We set them up in their own little cage in Turkey Manor. That way we felt the two big guineas will have a chance to get to know them. Eventually, we will introduce them and have a flock again. Can you imagine when all 11 are together.....
















Abbie was fascinated by them... "my baby buca-bucas" she calls them.. and then she'll tell you that they go "peep-peep"....















She wanted to kiss them all goodnight... but she knew they couldn't come out of their cage...






so, the farm will be back to normal one day soon... guinea hens to guard the barn, eat the horrid tics and entertain us with their sweet little sounds... Ed can't wait, and I bet Rick cant wait to come and see them!!!!!







*** just for the record, as the author of this story, I might have taken some poetic liberty----with the idea that everyone just loves guinea hens!!!! and if you believe every word (other than the fact that we really did get 11 new birds).. I have a wonderful piece of ocean front property for sale in Arizona****




6 comments:

Rick Barnaby said...

OMG! Are you kidding?
I have tears in my eyes reading the part where Ed was smiling and couldn’t wait to get some more “Italian Chickens” back on the farm…
Pure Torture those birds are, Pure Torture!!!

Rick Barnaby said...

She is addorable... Abbie I meen!

Linda said...

I seem to remember how much Ed 'loves' guineas! Congrats on your new additions...my sympathy to you, Ed!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

hahahaha-But they do eat a lot of ticks!

I do believe Abby loves her 'buca-buca's'.

Alex said...

too funny!

phaedra96 said...

Love guineas! We live too close to a busy road to have them, I miss them.