Sunday, August 07, 2011

if you ask...


Ever since I lost my dear little Beeker, I have thought that sometime, I would like to have another silkie chicken. I have been looking in the local feed stores, but because they really aren't a good laying bird, silkies aren't there. You can order them, but it's a bit too late in the summer to do that now. However, living in a small town, word gets out fast, and it's pretty well known that I was looking for a silkie. Well... I didn't get one... I got FIVE!!!! A rooster, two hens (for sure) and two little ones (don't know "what" they are yet).





Roger (who is the overseer of the landfill) raises birds, and on one of our dump runs, he asks if it's true... do I want some silkies. I say - yes, one or two would be nice, but he has a small flock that must go together. Well.. let me think about that, and then I hear, "I have your birds here at the dump, come get them".... ya, OK Roger.... guess I have some birds.








Silkies come in all colors and feather type, other than the handsome black rooster, the others aren't as fluffy as Beeker was, but they are silkies. Beautiful blue ear patches, five toes and feathered legs... black skin and some fluff.. and friendly... you can pick up each one....








We're still picking out names for them.. and they aren't hard to tell apart due to their colorings. The two little hens are laying already, and the younger ones may lay before the summer is over (unless this one here is another rooster).... and who knows, we might even get some little ones ourselves... but either way, silkies are back on the farm, and I may have another Beeker!!!!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I need to plan a trip up to Sweetgrass soon. Glad you got some more silkies.

Alex said...

weve just got one black silkie left... they are so fun and pretty!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! But there will always be a spacial place in my heart for Beeker :)