Saturday, May 05, 2012

It's May????

What have we hear on this fine day in May??
Two little chicks!!! Actually they hatched out when we were away seeing Ginger, so sometime either the 25 or 26th of April. I wasn't so sure that we were even going to get chicks. Out two hens had gone broody about a month ago. Since silky hens are known for going broody at anytime, I thought they could be faking it.. but I was wrong.The babies are so cute, and goodness know what color they will be (or "what") they are.. but we are sure enjoying them. Especially Abbie who calls them "my babies"
We have had the most beautiful spring. The boys are anxious to get out on the new grass, but I don't like to open the pasture until June, if I can get away with it. That way we have "grass" until September. However, we do have a smaller grass area for early spring grazing, which they got to enjoy.
Back to the birdies... I don't know if we have two mothers and two babies, or one Mom and an Aunt. Either way, you can see that they are well guarded by both.
Abbie was brave enough to hop up on Silver and "ride" him in one evening when we were heading to the barn. He's such a gentle old horse and I feel so happy to see him carry my little grandbaby. By the smile on her face.. I think you can tell how she feels about horseback riding.

No comments: