Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving....

And so begins the holiday season... I like the idea that it all starts with being "thankful", because certainly, we are a blessed nation, and a blessed people, and it's important that we do not take that for granted.....
Our day began early, I was up to get the turkey in the oven. One of our own, and though "he" wasn't nearly as big as some of the past, he was "good enough" and needed a nice long cook in the oven. Sadie and Abbie were up shortly afterwards and began making their goodies. Abbie spent the rest of the day with her Dad, but was home long enough to help with our meal.
I called her a "kitchen fairy", but I was quickly informed that she was a "lollipop" fairy... so, OK, that works for me....
Pulled out the "good china"... but when that extra leaf goes in the table.. my cloth is not big enough. Maybe this winter, I'll take some time and make my own fall table cloth. Either way, it's having the table crowded with family that makes it special.....
This year we had my Mom and Dad, sister Rachel and niece Naomi... sister Becky, Ed, and niece Kelsey, Sadie and boyfriend Jessie, and Ed and I. Our bird was delicious, and I said thank you for him.....
The weather was pretty nice and after our wonderful meal, I went and hitched Duke to take everyone for rides. I have wanted to do this with my family for a long time, and for me.... this was very very special... Naomi got the first drive around the farm....
And Becky's Ed was quite interested in all the things that it takes to "drive"... I had to run and get something, so asked if he would just hold Duke for a moment... he was a very good sport and though not quite comfortable with a horse... he did a nice job. Naomi on the other hand would have taken right over if we let her.....
My sister Becky.. Naomi and I.....
And then... my Dad.... I had been waiting to take Dad driving for a long time, I am so happy we got to do this together......
And then Ed's turn... and I don't think Naomi even got out of the cart!!!! being so "little" she could easily ride with everyone, and took every trip possible around the farm....
Last but not least, Kelsey jumped in and got the last ride of the day before the dark settled in. Next time, I hope it will be sleigh rides!!!!!
Afterwards, we returned to the house to warm up with coffee and wonderful desserts. Kelsey brought an "Uno" game and we had quite a few takers in a good game. Somehow, I got seated next to Jessie and he was out to get me!!!! We had so much fun, laughing and playing cards together.... these are the times that are so important and are truly near and dear to my heart!~!!!!




Naomi played with Rylie. I have pictures of her with Chester, Ginger and now Ry... seems each year we have a "new" service puppy to love and enjoy. The day was more than wonderful, and I can only hope that it was the same for all my dear readers...


Thanksgiving blessings to one and all......

No comments: