Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Abbie meets the bees....

We were (are) so happy, because Abbie slept over last night. Sadie had a late shift at work, and since I didn't see Abs all last week due to my work schedule, I was aching to have her here. I picked her up late in the day as she had been with her Dad all weekend, then had to teach classes... so I didn't see much of her last night either. But this morning she was up early, ready to check  on the chickens... and of course... meet the bees. I don't want her to be afraid of them, so we have been talking it up to her.. telling her how she can see them and how to be around the hive,etc.  She couldn't wait to get her veil on and go out to the hive with me....
The day was damp, so the bees weren't flying much. I wanted her to wear a jacket but we didn't have any of her's here... so one left by her Mom had to do. We put Papa's gloves on her too... I figured her first experience out by the hive.. I didn't want to take any chances of her being stung... that certainly would not be a good introduction to bee keeping....
She wasn't so sure about the get-up we put her in... but I figured if she isn't afraid of them.. then I will look around and get an outfit for kids... I know they make them.....
We walked out together... I showed her how to approach the hive and not to get into the flight path of the bees. I decided to bring some food out to them as well, and show Ab how we feed the bees... she was all excited...
I was very proud of how she listened... she stood just where I asked her too.. and had a lot of questions about the bees and where they lived, and what they were doing. She really wanted to look in the bottom box and see them, but with the weather so damp and cold, I didn't want to run the risk of opening the hive and chilling them....
She loved watching them fly in and out the 'front" door.....
And we listened to them humming away inside...
As I said, there weren't too many flying today, but again, I figured it's a good way to get Abbie started around them....
I promised her that on a warmer day, we'll get down into the brood box and see what they are up... but she seemed happy with her first meet and greet.... (notice Mona had to help out as well!!!!).....
And would you look at these turkeys!!! I figure by the weekend, we'll need to get them moved into turkey manor..... they are growing quick. Abbie held one, but they aren't the cute fuzz any more and she is beginning to loose interest... she even remarked about them "going into the freezer!!!"

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a grand farmer you're training! 'Turkeys in the freezer' at her age is amazing. (laughing)

I put about 1/2 the garden in today. I need the garden to dry out a bit before I can do the potatoes and corn, but the heavy thunderstorms have made it quite muddy.

Massachusetts tomorrow for Marc's 1st blacksmithing class of 2013. (On the road again...)

Keep the posts coming!