Sunday, June 22, 2014

bringin' in the hay


I don't know if it's just because winter was so long... or if because we did have such a "wet" spring... or if it's just because I am loving this summer weather... but it seems to me that everything looks so pretty this year!!! We have a ton of wild flowers growing all around the farm, and since a gardener I am NOT... I am happy to see these, knowing my little bees are finding good things to "eat"...
The horses are enjoying being on pasture again. They hardly spend anytime inside, (which makes for clean stalls!!!) and I basically check the water... I haven't bothered putting out hay, because they aren't eating it... the grass is just too  nice....
Speaking of hay... it's that time again!!! As if getting the beach house and camp isn't enough work on our list... the hay is on it's way in!!! Time to open up the loft doors.......
Can you believe this view we have from the hay loft!!!! Honestly, this would make a neat apartment with all these grand views!!!!
But, the "only ones that see it" are the hay bales!!! We did pretty well this past year, even with the very cold temps, and all the hay we fed out.. we have some left... I like to take the time to get all the "old" hay in one area, sweep up and feed out any broken bales, and just have a nice place to put the new hay in....
And we're ready just in time, because "Father" has knocked down my favorite hay field. He knows I really like the hay from this particular field... and he usually "saves" it for us....
The family that owns this farm doesn't live on it, and let's "Father" tend the fields and sell the hay. I feel very fortunate that there are still farms like this one!!!
Once the bales are made, we wait for the call and head over.... the hay this year is looking very good... and I would think that there will be two cuttings this year. 
We pull up with the trailer and everyone pitches in!!!! Big or small, every hand helps and it so nice to see that the "kids" are happy to lend a hand....
This year, even Abbie is big enough to move some bales around. And she was pretty excited to know that she is "now big enough to help"... (and let me tell you, she can really hussle those bales!!!)
I only hope that we will continue to have "generations" that want to keep these traditions alive and well. Many horse folk - other than us - depend on people being willing to hay and keep the farm lands open....
And the first load heads for home. Two big loads will fill the loft half way, and then I can rest easy and wait for the second cut - usually in late August - to come in. I usually buy more hay than we need, but there is something comforting just knowing that hay is in the loft....
Elevator is down, a few extra hands unload at the farm, and before I know it, the trailer is empty, hay's inside and we're heading back for load number two....
The group is waiting for our return, and get right to work. I think they look a bit like the bees at the hive!!! but they make quick work of it.....
And the field is all cut, ready to grow again.....
Twinkle and Mocha come in from the pasture just to see what is going on. They get the first taste of the this years hay, and from what I can tell... they approve....
Tonka, on the other hand, was just as happy to stay out on his grass... but I know he'll appreciate this hay come winter winds!!!!












A stormy looking sky says that we got the hay at just the right time. Haying is a tricky business that depends on the weather, but once again... Father got it right!!!!! and for now... this job is behind us, and we get on with the next...




No comments: