Friday, June 17, 2016

a night of hay...;

As a "rule"... once I begin to see Father knocking down the hayfields, I am a happy girl. With the hay loft beginning to look empty and the knowing of how much hay we need for the winter months... it's always a comfort to me to see the hay getting ready to come in. However, this year..... when I saw the hay drying in the field.. my thought was "oh no!!!" We are leaving for a trip tomorrow... and knowing we can't get all the hay brought in in a day... I will be leaving this job to others. 
We have been planning our trip for almost a year... but, when we found out the dates were in June, a small dread did begin to creep in. June is such a busy month for us with everything that we seem to manage.... so, I decided, as best I can, that this is just one of those things that I can't have complete control over and sometimes, it's best to just let go and allow things to plan out on their own accord. At any rate, it will give us the chance to try out new hay wagon, which makes Ed feel better because the flat bed trailer always made him nervous when having to haul hay. 
Because it had to dry all day in the sun... the hay wasn't (isn't) ready to baled and brought in until the end of the day. We were hoping to be on the road bright and early in the morning, but again... what needs to be done.. needs to be done.....
The first load was ready around dinner time. Denise, Ed and I headed down to the field...We decided that we would just do the best we can....but I feared it was going to be a rather long evening....
I will say... the hay is looking good, and with this nice stretch of weather... it's a good time to bring it in...
First load..... 
Everything went along quite well.... the trailer pulled nice, the hay elevator worked well.... after this load, Ed had to attend a meeting at the Town Hall... which left the rest of the work up to us gals. Astrid (who is minding the farm while we are away) arrived and jumped right in on the activities.  .. then Sadie came up... so, the second load was all us....
Girl power for sure.....
We brought in a total of three loads of hay. Almost 500 bales.... Ed arrived to help with the last load, which we put in around 9:30 pm. Supper was at 10:00 pm..... We were hoping to start our trip around 5:00 the next morning, but since we hadn't packed... and there were still some loose ends to tie up.... no way were we on the road that early.... 

To top it off, there are still another 500 bales to come in, and as much as I hated to.. I had to leave the rest to the gals. They all assure me that it's fine, and to go and not worry....easier said than done..... but again... I just have to let go what I can't do and trust..... 

I know the hay will get in... and it's time to look forward to some time away and a chance to have some fun and see new things....

No comments: