Monday, October 30, 2017

A wild night

Well, our prep work over the weekend proved to be a very smart move. Around supper time last night, the rain began to move in, the wind began to pick up and the big storm that they had been predicting all week came to be. I've seen these Halloween storms a few time before, and generally they are "good ones" in every sense of the word. Thinking back, one of our first Halloween's here on the farm was actually a snow storm, with nearly 20 inches of snow. So, when I hear... "storm for Halloween" I pay attention. 

The biggest worry was the wind. They said a lot of rain too, but the wind is what brings down the trees, and ultimately the power lines, and as of this morning, nearly 300,000 people are without power. However we manage to still have it here on  the farm is simply a blessing, because I don't think too many folks in town have power. Ed was up early to head to work, I told him I thought he should wait a few hours and go in late, but he wanted to get there. The sad thing is... to took him twice the time.. an hour's ride was turned to two hours, trees and power lines blocked many of the roads that he usually travels on, and he just kept getting detoured from one to the next. 









For me, it was business as usual... with Cadi and I heading to barn chores in the morning. Our usual "sippy hole" was more like a "sippy lake"... and after we got done, Cadi just had to check this out. I have to admit, I enjoyed watching her, and thought... leave it to a lab to fine fun in what a major storm has left behind. The barn, horses and other critters fared well... and I just have to think how blessed we are to have good strong buildings and protection when things like this blow in. 

I have to wonder if Cadi thought this was brought in just for her. 
Due to the lack of power everywhere, dog classes were cancelled and I kept checking on the rest of the family to see how everyone was faring. Both Kass and Sadie were without power, but Mom... who happens to have an automatic generation, had power. The electric company is warning everyone it might be days before everything is back on line, so... I guess there's nothing more to do but wait and see how it all works out. 

Since I really had no plans for the day after cancelling classes, I didn't venture out far. I did go and check the camps, which were good, except a tree broke and has blocked the road, and taken the power out. But, that will be left to the people who know how to handle it... and I did get this shot of the farm as I was pulling in. The storm on it's way out... and though the wind is still very strong, the sun is beginning to peak threw. 
Makes one appreciate all the things that are good... because we certainly have no control over things like this!!!
Our road will probably be a mess for awhile, but this is minor....

I guess all I can say is that October hasn't disappointed me with it's mysterious ways....

No comments: