Thursday, March 22, 2018

when you say goodbye.....

Where has time gone?? I always feel like I'm asking that question, and then one of life's "majors" shows up and I begin to ask the question all over again. Yup a life major showed up today... when I said goodbye to our little Trevor dog... "growly boy" as we called him.. one of the "brothers".... He was officially 16 and 7 months old... I was thinking he might make 17, but he really began to get old the past few months, and I knew that not likely. 


When we lost Hunter over a year ago, I didnt' think that Trev would stay much longer. They were always together, though the first year of their life, wasn't pretty... dog fights between the two.. always pushing for that top position... I even wondered if one should be rehomed, but we loved them both and which one would have gone. We worked threw  it, though they continued to push each other's buttons once in a while. They came to us as "fosters"... and we fell in love, and they never left.... I love this photo... they were about 10 months old, and two peas in a pod...
They were sort of the same and very different too... Trev was certainly the pushy one... and got into all kinds of trouble. He loved to eat paper, I can't say exactly how much money he ate, or the number of checks he ate... or the number of cross stitch patterns he ruined. And yet, he loved to cuddle and be with you.. I never could stay mad very long.
Even when he was older, this was a common trick... going into the bathroom and grabbing a toilet paper roll and then walking over with it, as though to say.. "I just found this, it's OK to keep it, right??"

He had to have one of his eyes removed due to glocuma ... but that didn't slow him down one little bit.. and with his dark color and a bit of fancy footwork in the grooming, no one hardly noticed it was gone. 
When we lived in our old hometown, I loved walking the group together... back then it was Moxie, Hunter, Trevor and Camille... after we moved and Moxie left..Tazzy and Livy were with us, I used to take the group, but the older ones were slowing down... I don't have this big group anymore, and in fact, it's just Tazzy and Livy right now... I miss the group....

Like all our spaniels.. Trev loved camp... and he was by far our swimmer dog. Trev swam just to swim..he'd go to the water, hop in, swim a few circles and then get out, and find a warm sunny spot to dry. If he wasn't sunning himself, he was in the lake, and never wondered from camp.. would always be in one of those two places. I think he got one or two swims in last summer, but I guess when I noticed that the swims weren't nearly as often as they once were, I knew he was truly slowing down. It was more sunny spots than swimming. 
I used to smile at the naughty things he still did once in a while. Like this photo..a food bin that belonged to a guest doggie, and Trev quickly figured how to open the door and simply help himself. Funny that if he had been a pup, I would have jumped right onto this and said no... being a senior had it advantages....
So, as I say goodbye to yet another beloved boy... I like to think that he and Hunter are together once again. That Hunter was sitting at the gate of Heaven and saying... "goodness it took you a while to get here".. and perhaps Trevor told him that Mom just wasn't ready to let him leave. 

Good bye my growly, swimming, flyball dog boy... happy running with the ones that were waiting for you, and I expect that you will all coming running on the day that I join you...


love you Trev!!!!!

No comments: