Tuesday, May 12, 2009

buggies!!!!!

Yesterday my little fly predators arrived in the mail!!! If you remember, I had ordered them one day last winter and they said that once the good weather came, they would be shipped.

Now, these little predators eat the fly lava that is in manure piles and the like and are suppose to reduce the fly population. I have talked with several people who use them, and I guess they make a big difference around your barn and animals... so I am anxious to try them out.





The funny thing is, you can't put them out right away... actually you have to keep them warm and in their package for a few days... because they need to hatch. What you see here are the fly predator "eggs" (the black specs) and they have been shipped in saw dust.
You have to watch for "movement" in the package, and then take them out and sprinkle them around your manure pile, area of your paddock etc....
so... we're waiting for hatchlings!!!!!

3 comments:

Sarah Henderson, BCCDC said...

I'm eager to hear your report. I want to try these as well, but they are much harder to find in Canada than in the US>

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

This is interesting. Keep us posted on the progress. I've been thinking about using them myself.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

We have used them for several years and I do think they help. The best results seem to be when I put them in the manure pile.