Monday, August 31, 2009

August is done?????

I can't believe that today is August 31 where has the summer gone... or rather, did summer even get here. Weather wise, we had the "wettest summer" on the books, so really we didn't even get summer like weather until just a couple weeks ago.... NO FAIR!!! Maybe the fall will make it up to us.. actually from now until January is my favorite time of year .

And speaking of "a year"... it was exactly one year ago tonite that our horses spent their very first night in their new home. The barn has turned out to be so wonderful, and having "worked" in it for a whole year, I can truly say, there is nothing that I would change. What felt (at the time) like endless hours of planning, thinking, checking... re-checking on the design of the barn, certainly paid off. Such a blessing....

All our "things' are home again from the fair. Both Sadie and I did quite well this year, and have all the pretty ribbons to show off.... but one thing that was quite surprising.. when Ed went to pick up the picture of "Mr.G".. the lady in charge of them, asked him if the photo was for sale. I guess someone saw it and asked if we might be interested in selling it. Ed wasn't sure what my answer would be, so he left our name with her and said if the people come back and want to talk with us about buying the photo, she could give them our name. As of today, there hasn't been any phone call, but I thought that was pretty neat....


Three weeks ago, I taught Sadie how to knit. She started with a hat for herself, and flew thru it. Then she wanted to make some booties for baby Abby.. I have a nice bootie pattern but it involves using four needles. I showed her what to do, and she whipped those out... in fact, not only "whipped" them out, but entered them in the fair and .... took a BLUE!!! Her very first pair!!!!!






Then (on four needles again) she made a hat for baby Abby.. and entered that in fair...
she got a third placement.
I don't know what she's working on at the minute, but I have a feeling there's no stopping her now. She'll have to find "help" with other things, because she will soon pass my expertise!!!
So, it's goodbye to August and onto another month, and hopfully closer to getting into the new house. I also have been really missing Moxie these past few days, she loved the fall weather and always got so "puppy like" with the cooler weather....I fear it will take a very long time before I can smile when I say her name......She would have so loved riding in the woods yesterday..... "love you Moxie girl!!!!"

4 comments:

Rick Barnaby said...

See, Sadie does take after Mom in some ways;)! Great job!

phaedra96 said...

I have been making quick breads for a neice's wedding shower and reading through your blog. It caught my eye because of the Percherons and driving. I used to have two teams--17+ hand geldings(way too big-I could not throw the harness over! though they were a fantastic pair they gave way to a pair of 15 hand mares that I would still have except for a circumstance beyond my control. I love driving more so than riding and now have a couple fjords-- one drives draft and cart and the mare needs work. I am also a displaced New Englander and miss it living here in the land of major humidity in Indiana. Keep up the writing and talk to you later(bread needs out--Now!)

Flying Lily said...

Congratulations to both of you on the Fair awards! What great work and super results. I can't wait to see what you do for next year's fair!!

sue said...

Hello "phaedra96" glad that you are enjoying the blog... I can guarentee that there will be lots of horse stories and the like in the future, so enjoy!!!!