Monday, August 31, 2009

a day in the woods

Yesterday, after church as we were driving home, a long list of "what can we do this afternoon" began running thru my mind. Goodness knows, there is always something to "fill" our time... finishing up the move of the turkeys, making a trash run, mowing the lawn, painting, etc. etc. etc... but the afternoon was just too pretty to be filled with such tasks!!!

So, I called Deb to see if she and Alice would like to go driving with Mocha and me!!! Mocha has been doing so well with her driving skills, that I feel it's time to get off the farm and try new and exciting places. Deb has acres of woods behind her house with all sorts of trails, and I have been wanting to try them for sometime. She was so excited when I called and couldn't wait for Mocha and I to come. Sadie tagged along as well, I wasn't sure if Mocha was up to pulling two in the cart .. but she wanted come and could (at least) get some photos for us.
Mocha and Alice seemed pleased to see each other once again, they last time they were together was back in June at the driving clinic.


It didn't take long for us to tack up and get ready to head out.
"On your mark.... get set.... go!!!"








The woods were beautiful and surprisingly not very buggy.. which made the ride very pleasant.







I was extremely pleased with Mocha's driving skills. I did find out that she needs work in holding the cart back on down hills. On the farm, we mostly drive on the "flat", so we haven't had the opportunity to work with hill... but that is one of the very reasons why you want to "work" in different places. Now, "we" have to find hills to work with!!!!









Time out for a photo opt!!! (Deb and I have "only" worked two years for this afternoon!!!)








And then almost too soon, we were back "home" once again. Both the horses were amazing on the trail and seemed to enjoy the outing as much as Deb and I did... certainly there will be more drives together this fall... and maybe even a beach day!!!!!




3 comments:

Rick Barnaby said...

Awesome! Congrats to all... It looks like a great time & place!

Down hills are differant... most horses arent used to being pushed in a harness, so it does take some getting used too...

Deb said...

It really was an awesome afternoon. I love the pictures, and I keep thinking about how pleased I am with our hard work it has paid off for all 4 of us! AND... a special thanks to everyone who helped us....

Alex said...

Yipee! What a fun accomplishment- you should be so proud of all of your hard work!