Saturday, August 17, 2013

firemen's muster


It looks like we're off on a big adventure!!!! Well, I guess, in a way we are... but maybe not quite as exciting as it would seem.....
It's our annual shavings run..... fortunately, we have a lumber mill not that far from the farm, and it's easy to go and get a load of them. Just a matter of doing it... and calling in the troops....(I can do it myself, but having help is much better!!!)
And for as much goofing off as she does.... my little barn fairy is a very good helper too!!!! (and so is her MOM!!!)
After we got the shavings home and put away in the barn, it was time for some play....
The swing set is getting some use.... I can't believe how big Abbie has gotten since we bought this last year. I can't wait to see Reagan out there on it as well.... "Babys and Papas" always should have a swing set....
Abbie telling Debbie that she can't climb the "rock" wall......
On Friday, it was a day to spend back in our home town... time to get ready for the Annual Firemen's Muster.... the weekend always begins the same, with Ed pulling "Protection II" out of storage and the "Red Shirts" getting her all polished up for the big parade.
Reagan was so interested in the activity... as a little boy, I don't doubt that firetrucks will become a very popular item one day.....
He was all smiles for the men and got a lot of attention......
Friday evening, Ed attends the banquet hosted by the Red Shirts... so... we gals decided to go out to dinner. We picked this place because  not only do they have good food... but outdoor seating.. which is a good place for Debbie to go and practice her manners......
She very quickly and happily went "under" for me... I was so pleased and surprised... and then....
I saw the "reason" why......she wasn't really doing her "work"... she saw a "goodie!!!"
And I think she was a bit surprised and disappointed when she knew I that I had caught on.... "no goodies for you little girl!!!!"
Saturday was the muster day.... it begins with the fire truck parade... Reagan's first!!!!
And Debbie's too... though neither one knew exactly what they were in for. But we were prepared.... I had an escape route all planned out if Debbie got worried, and for little Reagan.... 











His Daddy had brought ear protection. Those fire trucks can be mighty loud when you are standing there right in front of them.... and what fire fighter isn't going to use the siren or air horn when they have the golden opportunity to do so!!!!!

Abbie knew what to expect and waited anxiously for it to begin.....
She was happy to explain to her little cousin how this all works......
He looks pretty happy to just be part of the excitement....
Everyone is waiting!!!!!
Nate brought ear protection for Abbie as well.. she was pretty sure that she wouldn't need them, but was worried that Debbie might..... so she shared them.....
Not too sure how Debbie felt about having those heavy things on her ears.... but she was good sport about it.......
And here comes the parade... which is always lead off by the Red Shirts......
Our little beetle proudly carries the Queen once again....... it's a great little car and each year it's honored to have this duty....
Abbie did decide that ear protection was a good idea... especially when she saw Reagan wearing his....
Debbie was awesome during the parade.... she got a little annoyed with all the noise, but never "ran" or tried to get away... I have really good feelings about this little girl....
Just watching them go by.......
Abbie really enjoyed watching too... and was quite happy to get a lollipop to boot.....
So another year done...... I have to say, I love "field day" as we fondly call it... I attended my first one when I was 5 months old (just about Reagan's age)... and I haven't missed one yet!!!!!
After the parade we went to the field to watch the competitions.... it's so nice because they are really gearing this towards families... lots of good food to eat....
And Abbie was more than thrilled to find the "jumpy house".... I knew just where she was all afternoon, because she only came out long enough for a quick bite, and something to drink and it was back to jumping......
Debbie was a big hit and schmoozed the crowd..... people now begin to ask me about "this year's puppy"... guess I have been raising dogs for a while now when folks remember that this is what I like to do.....
And then, the whole day ends with the lobster bake. To be honest, I was so hungry by the time we got to the bake that I didn't get very many pictures.... especially where lobster (one of my favorites) is involved....
Our whole family was there.... I guess this is what you consider "true tradition"......











Especially when we pass it on from generation to generation.... until next year "Firemen's Muster"!!!!!

No comments: