Sunday, November 27, 2016

ornaments and a birthday

We have a trip coming up in a few days... and when we get back, it will be the start of the holiday season. So, I decided to get our tree up and put up a few decorations, so that when we return.. it will be ready. I head to the cellar and pull out the ornament box, and opening it up.. kind of feels like old friends have returned for a visit. I started collecting ornaments when I was 15... always thinking "one day I'll have my own tree". It was crazy collecting, just an ornament or two a year, but now, when I pull them out and think they are "40 years old"... it just doesn't seem possible....

Our tree isn't "real".. which living in the great state where we grown Christmas trees, seems kind of "mean".. but I have to admit having a fake means they can go up much sooner and stay longer. So for now, I will do with putting the real greens on the doors and enjoying the fake inside. I will say, we did buy a good one, so it's a little hard to know it isn't real... and some trees I have seen are even harder to judge.... and it has it conveniences... but, I miss the hunt of the real tree and even though it was a bother... all the "events' that go with bringing a real tree in and getting it up....

The little brown dog was "great help" decorating the tree... and lets hope that sir Henry doesn't think this is a jungle gym for him to climb.... to be safe... we'll tie it to the wall... we have had tree falling disasters in the past!!!

But, back to the ornaments... there are some special ones that hold huge stories... and as much as I hate to admit it.. this poor (ugly) one comes to the top of the list. I'd had this one "gone" years ago, but Ed won't hear of it. I made this ornament ... when we were teens, there was a whole group of us that hung out. We were just into the driving stage, and many of the guys had vehicles... pick up trucks, jeeps... we were all associated with the fire department, and though there were couples, we were all friends. So one year, I made these "Santas" for everyone's vehicles to hand from the rear view mirror... I gave them out and all the guys hung them in their vehicles. Back then, my dear Ed had a crush on me... it was years later before we (I) had the brains to realize what a great couple we were (are)... but if there were any doubt how he felt about it, this could be a sign. He kept that silly Santa ornament for years!!!!! even to the point that the first Christmas we were married and had our own tree... he pulled this out and put it on our tree. It's was in pretty sad shape then, because he had kept it so long, and I tried to not have it on the tree, but he insisted... as he has every single year since. And when the tree goes up, he looks to be certain that "his Santa" is hung... I often try to hide it in the back of the tree somewhere, only to find he has moved it up front where everyone can see it..... so this year, I gave up... it's on the tree... kind of in the front... and he just gives me a smile when he sees it.... 


This one is prettier... it says.. first Christmas together... we bought it when we were married... 1981.... that make it 35 years this past summer...... 

And then the "memory" ornaments... Dogs are a big topic... horses, hand made ... I don't have so many of the girls ornaments, because I have passed those on....

and ornaments of our loved ones in the past... here's Moxie's... I suppose I need to (when I feel stronger) order ones for Hunter, Camille and Duke... but for this year.. not ready to see ones like this for them...


And because I do love ornaments so much, we often look for them when we travel.. and I pretty much have them from each trip we have taken... which leads to this one from colonial Williamsburg... which is where we are going in just a few days.... and I am sure I will come back with another one from there. 

So, as we get started with he holiday season... so many emotions come up... my Dad's health... the recent loss of our pets... the excitement of the grands... our trip.... it's almost overwhelming and wonderful all at the same time... 

And just to squeeze in another celebration... Mom's birthday. Which coming on the heels of Thanksgiving can sometimes be over looked in a way. but, tonight we celebrate with cake, and the happiness that Dad is home to be there with us...

We all come together in our childhood home....

And have the grands who remind us of how important and fun birthday are.... where one must have cake, candles and sing!!!!! Seeing Reagan's smile at all this reminds us that a child like attitude can be so important in this adult world of ours...

So, we sing... we blow out the candles.. we cut the cake and celebrate today... just today and the blessings we have right now... because life changes quickly and when the good things surround you.... you don't want to miss out on them.....

No comments: