Thursday, August 20, 2015

the traveling class.....

After five weeks of working and training.. and traveling all about the community... my little traveling class is taking the AKC Community dog test tonite. We met on the college campus... it was a super hot night and the poor dogs were certainly dealing with the heat. 
 Thanks to Kathleen helping me out with Camille and Livy... both are being tested tonight with the other students... Cam is probably wondering why at age 12, she still "has to be trained and tested".. but I just thought it would be nice for her to have this title. 
Livy really doesn't like the heat...
Julie came to do the testing. I thought all "my" students were looking really good...
showing that everyone can do the basics...

and then the testing.. this exercise is showing the dog remains calms when being approached by a person who is carrying a large object.... Julie chose this canvass bag...
I think Storm thought he could help Julie carry that big bag.... (which was full of dog toys...)
This is the "wait" exercise.. where the dog is asked to hang back while the owner goes ahead....
Daisy showing what a nice job she can do... all the dog's did this one very well....
then the "being calm while waiting with others"... we practiced this one alot over the summer... having our ice cream dates at the end of each training session... the dogs thought this was no big deal....
the last exercise is "good behavior in a crowd".. and on this hot summer night, that was easy because everyone wanted to have some ice cream. 
and I happy to report that all the dogs passed with flying colors. I knew they would, this was a great bunch of students to work with. A perfect class to teach in the summer time and all the gals want me to teach it again next summer. 

There is another level that we can do as well.. the Canine Good Citizen Urban dog... so I think I'll be looking into that one as well.....

No comments: