Friday, September 14, 2018

back again....

I have to say I just love the fall mornings... the weather feels so much better and I actually begin to feel like doing things. This morning I was greeted by this view as Mabel and I made her morning rounds... but it's an exciting day for me, because I am once again, taking riding lessons. 

It's not that I can't ride... I can... but I want to get my skills back up.. I want Tonka and I to become a team again, and I want to take advantage of the wonderful things that I have in my back yard, and not just let "them" sit.. which is what he (and I have been doing). I also feel that by having lessons, I'll get honest again with my riding, because I will have to practice what is taught. I have to admit, I am a little nervous.. Tonka hasn't been off the farm in years.. literally... so it will not just be the lesson, it will be loading and trucking and seeing new sights.....


I picked a Friday (for today and a few weeks ahead) thinking that Ed is here to help with the trucking and such, just in case. So, Ed put the trailer on the truck, while I packed the goodies... we got Tonka... walked to the trailer like I knew all would be well... and he hopped right on. Not one bit worried. Maybe he feels happy to be of use once again...

Abraham pitched a little fit, and I hoped that would upset Tonk and it didn't. So, all loaded up we headed to the lesson.





After watching Kate all summer school Abi, I knew that she would be perfect for me. And now that the kids are back in school, I guessed the stable would be quiet. Which is was and I had the whole arena to myself. 

We did a nice warm up, Tonka was so well behaved, that I was able to hop on. I really didn't have any expectations for today..just thought I'd take one step at a time, but he seemed willing to just get on with things. 

It felt so good to be riding again... it felt familiar and with Kate teaching and using all the horse terms that I know. It's true that both Tonka and I are very out of shape, we're both too heavy.. and our skills are rusty... but under all of that, we're "there" once again, and this is just the beginning . 

Where it's all going to go, I don't have a clue or a plan... Kate asked if I did have anything in mind... but I said I just wanted to ride and have good skills... I'm keeping an open mind... trail riding, beach riding.. a fun show or two... who knows.... right now.. it's today, and this is what was done....

and I even have high hopes of getting the blog up and running in a proper manner.....

No comments: